Now our working weekend is over I’m continuing on with the £10 for 2 people for 1 week.
I’m terrible at following a recipe which means I kinda followed the recipe on this video but at the same time I didn’t want to make that much, wanted more veg in it, more spice, less oil etc… so messed around with the measurements and now we have this.
In the end it made enough for 2 dinners and 2 lunches.
50g White Onion, chopped
Morrison’s Wonky Onions 42p for 1kg – 2p
150g Mixed Frozen Veg
Lidl frozen mixed veg 79p for 1kg – 11p
1 Tin of Tomatoes
Morrison’s white label 30p for 400g – 30p
1tsp Garlic Powder
Garlic powder from Maqbools, Edinburgh 60p for 100g – £0.006p
1tsp Chlli Flakes
Chili flakes from PAT’s Asian Supermarket, Edinburgh £3.99 for 454g – £0.008p
1 tsp Curry Powder
Curry powder from Maqbools, Edinburgh 60p for 100g – £0.006p
1 stock cube
OXO Vegetable 24 for £2.50 – 10p
10g Tomato Paste
Morrison’s 48p for 200g – 1p
200g (dry weight) Basmatti Rice
Maqbools Supermarket, Edinburgh £5.99 for 5kg – 23p
Total – 78p
- In a frying pan with a lid (or something you can cover it with) saute your chopped onion over a high heat using a little water.
- Add in your rice, tomatoes, garlic powder, chilli flakes and curry powder and stir to make sure your spices are evenly combined.
- Fill up the empty tomato can with water, add in the tomato paste and crumble in the stock cube. Give it a good stir and then pour that into the pan too.
- Once the pan is boiling reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes then add in your mixed frozen vegetables, cover again and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- Stir well to combine all the veg and the caramelised bits on the bottom then serve.