This was the very first recipe I shared online when I went vegan. It was when I was part of Vegan Newbs and still had a lot to learn about taking pictures (not that I’m done learning).
While this isn’t the exact recipe I still use today at work it’s still a great recipe to start with so you can make your own additions and alterations.
Vegan Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
Based on the cover recipe from the December 2015 edition of Vegan Life
2 cups of plain flour
1 cup of cocoa
2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of salt
½ cup of white sugar
½ cup of brown sugar
½ cup of chocolate chunks
1 cup of vegetable oil
¾ cup of soya milk
½ cup of coconut milk
To top –
¼ cup of smooth peanut butter
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan. I use a glass dish and it didn’t need greasing.
2. Put all your dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together so they are mixed well.
3. In another bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
4. Add the dry to the wet a few spoonfuls at a time and whisk together well until you have a batter without any dry pockets of flour/cocoa.
5. Pour the batter into your cake tin/dish and swirl in your peanut butter.
To do this I softened up the peanut butter, took bits of it with a butter knife and cut it into the batter leaving trails on peanut butter behind as the knife went though.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes so you still have that gooey sticky center.
7. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before cutting, this is mainly so you don’t burn yourself on the molten chocolate chips.