Golden Vegetable Empanadas
3 cups of plain flour
1 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup butter
1 cup of mashed butternut squash
½ small onion finely chopped
½ red pepper finely chopped
1 cup of corn
1 small carrot finely chopped
1 tsp of garlic powder
½ tsp of chilli flakes
½ tsp of salt
1. Combine the dough ingredients by rubbing in the butter, you want it to look like breadcrumbs before you start adding water. Add enough water to give you a soft but not sticky dough, this will depend on the flour your using but roughly your looking at between ½ and ¾ of a cup. Cover and set aside to rest while you get your filling ready.
2. Combine everything for the filling and give it a good mix so everything is combined. You want a little bit of everything in each empanda.
3. Fill your empanadas… this is where trying to describe thing in text gets kinda difficult and confusing but that’s why there is a video to follow 😉
4. Lay your finished empanadas on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat. I sprinkled a little more chilli on top of mine but this is optional if you don’t want it too spicy.
5. Bake in a 200C oven for 20 minutes. They won’t got super golden, they stay kinda blonde. To tell if they are cooked the dough will of gone matte and when you turn them over they will hold their shape. As the dough is quite thin it doesn’t take much to cook it through. If in doubt though just pop them back in the oven for another 5 minutes.